, the dress is done! Looks great, I love it. I had some initial concerns about using a cotton lawn because the drape isn’t good. But I kinda wanted a floofy look to the bottom. I got the fabric from Fabric.com. It’s a Robert Kaufmann print called London Calling.
I did make some changes to the pattern, that I already posted about, like adding some fabric to the front cross over section to raise the neckline a bit. I also added a lining to the skirt. This fabric is a little sheer and I like to wear full booty undies so I really didn’t want to have to think about my underwear choices when I throw this on. The bodice is already lined for this pattern, I thought for the skirt it would look cool to add a layer of white cotton batiste under it. I didn’t want the lining to be attached, more of a free floating layer under it. I just cut the same skirt pieces in the lining but a few inches shorter. I also added two more snaps so I would have some closures on both sides of the wrap instead of just one side. I narrow hemmed all the raw edges on the skirt and French seamed the skirt panels together.
Funny thing about the lining of the back bodice piece… I accidentally forgot to put the darts in and had a hell of a time figuring out why that was the only piece not lining up. Also, please forgive my wobbly attachment on the lining to the skirt. I tried to stitch in the ditch, and man it looks great on the outside, but I can acknowledge that the inside could use some work.
This is how it looks on. Excuse the air dried messy hair. It was hot and I was in no mood to screw around with a hair dryer.
I think if I go back and make this again, or any of the other views I will try a technique I saw on a YouTube video I saw. It was Charles Kliebacker showing how to fix gaping on a low cut wrap or V-neck like this one. I think it would be worth a try.